This morning, after breakfast at your hotel, we will take five hour journey to the well-known Buddhist pilgrimage site in Mon State – Golden Rock.
A small pagoda in 7,3 meters was built on the top of a granite boulder, which is always over your expectations, every year it covered with gold leaves pasted on by devotees.
En route visit Kyakhat Wine Monastery where many monks live while studying Buddha's literature.
Today, you will have a great chance to learn more about monastic life of young monks.
When reach the base camp, we travel by local open-air truck to the junction camp and then to Golden Rock or and spend 45 minutes walking to the Golden Rock. If you would love to use sedan chair, you should pay by your own account.
Lunch and dinner on your own account.
Overnight near Golden Rock.
Accommodation: Hotel in Kyaikhtio
Important Notes for visits to Golden Rock
What to pack
- Sturdy shoes as the way up to Golden Rock is very steep.
- A pullover, light weight jacket and/or scarf as it gets quite cold in the evening.
- Backpack: Leave your main luggage in Yangon and just bring a backpack or small overnight back.
Porters: If you decide to bring along your suitcases, you can hire porters on spot (on own account). The price depends on the location of your booked hotel:
- Golden Rock Hotel (around 6 minutes’ walk from the first truck stop “Yeataetaung”). The hotel is located around 45 minutes’ walk from the top of the Golden Rock. Around 7000-8000 Ks for a porter per way (2-4 pieces of luggage depending on the size)
- Mountain Top Hotel & Kaikhtoo Hotel (around 5 minutes’ walk from the 2nd truck stop). Both hotels are located near the Golden Rock. Around 3000-5000 Ks for a porter per way (2-4 pieces of luggage depending on the size). The rest of the hotels are located around the mountain base and luggage can be delivered directly to the hotel.